Saturday, November 8, 2008

> Day 32 - And Then There Were Two

Eva spent the night with us last night so she could accompany Rebecca and Jon to the airport at 6:00 this morning. It's now just me and Candice.

We had to move to a different guest house where we will be for our last 3 nights in Kampala. Candice's plans for joining a group safari have finally worked out and I'll be meeting my husband in Kenya the same day she leaves for her safari. The house is nice. The electricity is much stronger here, the sinks are very large (great for doing laundry), and the yard is big and grassy. But the internet connection doesn't work, all of the guests share the bathrooms and for the first time since I've been in Africa, mosquitos are a problem.

We walked around, found a nice grocery store, bought a few things to munch on and then spent the afternoon reading, snacking and napping on the big back porch of the guest house.



The little grocery that we found was pretty amazing to us. It was like a little European market: small but inclusive of all the basic needs. They even had a cheese deli. Cheese, Glorious Cheese!! There was a grand meat counter with cuts of meat that you'd see in the U.S. This was quite a difference from the market we strolled past yesterday afternoon on our walk after I returned from my day with Godfrey.

The markets where the Locals shop are, well... they wouldn't pass our FDA rules. Raw meat lies on wooden tables exposed to flies and dust. Cooked meat lies in the open, exposed to flies and dust. Africans seem to like the 'meat on a stick' concept but I just couldn't bring myself to eat it knowing that it just sits there for who knows how long. If you want chicken for dinner, you choose which chicken you want -- a live chicken. This would never work for me because I would have the thing named before I reached home. I'm not sure if the ones wandering freely through the market are also for sale or if it's just the ones in the cages. ;">

I wondered, too, if people have to pay to rent a space in one of these markets. Farmers obviously bring their produce and set up in a 'booth' because every booth had the same things for sale. Towards the back of the market were large piles of charcoal and even booths selling plastic tubs to be used for washing your dinnerware. I guess this is the Uganda version of a Super Wal-Mart.

No comments: